first post

I have so many questions for God.  I have asked some of these questions to the followers of God, commonly known in my part of the world as "Christians".  I seldom get a satisfactory answer from them, and most often, their answers only lead to more questions.  For instance, some time ago I was discussing the existence of the God of the bible with one of his followers and at some point in our lengthy email discussion, Doug the Christian said:  “The natural world is all around you and shouts out the existence of God. Stop and listen. Watch a caterpillar create a cocoon, and then emerge as a butterfly. Look at a flower, and ponder.”

"Look at a flower, and ponder", so I did just that:

Lilly of the valley

 

So beautiful, dainty, petite. I have photographed these in the Virginia woods.
Symptoms after eating: vomiting, diarrhea, seizures.

Morning glory

These grow by the hundreds every summer along my backyard fence. I have taken dozens of close-up photographs of them - one of my favorite flowers. Should I contemplate the majesty of God when I observe their glowing, almost electric blooms?
Symptoms after eating: vomiting, diarrhea, hallucinations.

Larkspur

I don't know if these grow in my area, but they are quite beautiful.
Symptoms after eating: weakness, drooling, abdominal pain, paralysis, death.

Doug, the Christian, had no idea that by encouraging me to "Look at a flower, and ponder", that I would "ponder" far deeper than he had done.  So my question to God after pondering the flowers that Doug believes "shouts out" God's existence is this - why God, would you create flowers that are so beautiful to behold, yet could make me ill or even kill me if I decided to take a bite? This just seems cruel. What if one of my grand children were visiting and while playing in my back yard they decided to taste one of these beautiful candy-like blooms? Why God, would you do this to us?

I am seldom content to ponder only the surface.  I am far more interested in the depths, the areas that can't easily be seen.

I hope that you, the occasional reader, the Christian, will be stimulated to dig a bit deeper.  And if you are a Christian, and you can speak for God (since he has never personally answered any of my questions) I would greatly appreciate you chiming in.  I need truthful answers.  I need answers that make sense.

Feel free to comment or email me.

bob
r.u.reasonable@gmail.com

Comments