Where are all the Christians?

 


Where I currently live, I have lived for the past 15+ years.  I live directly between two churches.  If I walk to the end of my driveway and I then turn left and walk along the road, in a couple minutes I will be standing in front of one of these churches.  If instead I take a right at the end of my driveway, in a few minutes I'll be standing in front of the other church.

In the 15+ years that I have lived here, not a single person from either church has knocked on my front door.  There has even been times over the years, during funerals at these churches, that I have walked out and flagged down attendees to let them park in my driveway (I can easily fit 8-10 vehicles) since they don't have much room at the churches for parking.  And yet - not a single visit to my door, ever.
~ ~ ~
I became a bible believer at age 17.  For the next 25 years as a Christian, not once did another Christian knock at my door to talk to me about Jesus.  Not once did a Christian ever approach me out in public and ask me if I was "saved".  
NEVER
For the past 20+ years as a non believer (atheist) not a single Baptist, Pentecostal, etc, has knocked on my door (nor approached me in public) to talk to me about Jesus.  
NEVER

Counting only Baptist churches in my phone book there are about 80 of them in my little county of about 40,000 people - and yet - the only "believers" who have ever come to my door are Jehovah's Witnesses and Mormons - and there is only ONE Jehovah's Witness church (Kingdom Hall) and ONE LDS church in my area.  How is it that the two denominations with the fewest members in my area are the ONLY ones who have ever come to my door?



In my entire life, as far back as I can remember into my childhood, not a single "Christian" has ever approached me to share Jesus - either in public or at my front door, other than Jehovah's Witnesses and Mormons.

From time to time I get into email discussions with Christians who have an online presence promoting and/or defending their faith, either by website, blog, or YouTube videos.  Often I will begin my questioning with this: In the past 12 months ONLY, how many people - complete strangers - people that you have never met before - how many strangers have you approached for the sole purpose of talking to them about Jesus?  The answer has been pretty consistent - after much hemming and hawing, they usually admit that the number is ZERO.

OK, if Christians should desire to share their faith with "the lost", can someone please explain to me why it is that the only Christians that will actually take the time to tell me about Jesus, are the Christians that the other Christians will claim, are not "True Christians"?

Dec. 2023 Update - I wrote this post in March of 2021.  Back in September of this year, 2 1/2 years later, two Jehovah's Witnesses knocked on my door.  We talked for a few minutes.  I still live between the same two churches on the same road in the same county that is littered with hundreds of Christian churches . . . and as expected, the ONLY believers who have knocked on my front door to talk to me about their God, is the Jehovah's Witnesses.

bob
r.u.reasonable@gmail.com

Comments