What is a Contradiction ?




con·tra·dic·tion - noun
- a combination of statements, ideas, or features of a situation that are opposed to one another.
- a person, thing, or situation in which inconsistent elements are present.
- the statement of a position opposite to one already made.


Below, Jesus is talking:

John 5:22 
For the Father judges no one, but has given all judgment to the Son. . . 
(Jesus the son does judge)

John 8:15 
You judge by human standards; I judge no one
(Jesus the son does not judge)

John 12:47 
I do not judge anyone who hears my words and does not keep them, for I came not to judge the world, but to save the world. 
(Jesus the son does not judge)

A reading of John's gospel will give you a clear understanding of who will judge people - God / not God and Jesus / not Jesus . . .?

~   ~   ~

John 13:36 
Simon Peter said to him: “Lord, where are you going?” Jesus answered: “Where I am going, you cannot follow me now, but you will follow afterword.”

John 14:5 
Thomas said to him: “Lord, we do not know where you are going. How can we know the way?”

John 16:5 
. . . But now I am going to the One who sent me; yet none of you asks me, ‘Where are you going?

Peter (in John 13 above) just asked Jesus where he is going 
Thomas (in John 14 above) then told Jesus that they did not know where He was going, and asked how can they know the way. 
Did Jesus not hear them? Yes, he did hear them because he responded to Peter in 13:36 - . . . “Where I am going, you cannot follow me now, but you will follow afterword.”, and he responded to Thomas as well, in 14:6. 

So Jesus did hear them. If Jesus did hear them and he did answer them, why did he say in 16:5 that NONE of them asked him where he is going - when TWO of them had just asked him where he is going?


These are contradictions?  If they are not - what are they?  Does the dictionary definition for the word "contradiction" not apply to the books of the bible?  Do Christians just get to claim that the bible is a perfect book without any error, without any contradiction, when it actually has both errors and contradictions?

"Remember, there are no contradictions in the bible, just as long as you ignore all the contradictions."

~Aron Ra



bob
r.u.reasonable@gmail.com

ps - 
Acts 5:29 - We ought to obey God rather than men.
I Peter 2:13 - Submit yourself to every ordinance of man.

Comments