​The Second Coming of Jesus - when - or does it even matter anymore?


I don't really know if Christians think about this anymore. I know when I was a young Christian in the 1970's, the "imminent" return of Jesus was a pre-occupation. It seemed to be quite the topic among young believers back then, but since I don't have many young Christian friends these days, I don't know if they even think about it.  And since I don't listen to many church sermons, I don't know if anyone even talks about it anymore.

The only indication I find that there are some few Christians who have even a passing interest in the topic of Jesus's return is the occasional yard sign that I pass along my daily travels.


In 2002, just a few years after I became an atheist, I designed and printed out an "anti-tract", you know, sort of the opposite of all the religious tracts that Christians would leave in the library or cafeteria, hoping that the next passing lost soul would find one and accept Jesus.

Well, my "anti-tract" was about the 2nd coming of Jesus. I printed a few out and did just as the Christians do, left them around in the hopes that some Christians would find one, read it, and come to question why they are still waiting for Jesus to come back. I even put my email address inviting anyone to contact me . . . no one ever did.

My anti-tract had several bible verses that Christians quote to each other in support of the belief that Jesus is coming back soon:

"When they persecute you in one town, flee to the next; for truly I tell you, you will not have gone through all the towns of Israel before the Son of Man comes."
(Matthew 10:23)

"I tell you the truth, there are some standing here who will not taste death before they see the Son of Man coming in his kingdom.”
(Matthew 16:28)

"Truly I say to you, this generation will not pass away before all these things take place."
(Matthew 24:34; Mark 13:30)

"So also, when you see these things happening: know that the kingdom of God is near. In truth I tell you, before this generation has passed away all will have taken place."
(Luke 21:31-32)

"For this we declare to you by the word of the Lord, that we who are alive, who are left until the coming of the Lord, will not precede those who have died. For the Lord himself . . . will descend from heaven, and the dead in Christ will rise first. Then we who are alive, who are left, will be caught up in the clouds together with them to meet the Lord in the air; and so we will be with the Lord forever."
(1 Thessalonians 4:15-17)

"I am coming soon! I am indeed coming soon!"
(Revelation 22:12, 20)


The Gospel of Mark was written around the year 70, Matthew around 80, and Luke around 90. Paul wrote l Thessalonians around 50. Revelation was written around 90. It is now 2002 . . . where is He?

As can be seen, I wrote this "anti-tract" 20 years ago.  Another 20 years have passed and still - no Jesus.  But in spite of the delay, Christians are (I assume) still anticipating the return of Jesus along with the coinciding "rapture" of the believers . . .


. . . even though it is blatantly obvious that the bible verses that I reference in my "anti-tract" were written to people alive at that time - not to people who would be living 500, 1,000, 2,000 years later.

Why is it taking so long for Jesus to return?  
Are you still waiting?  If so, why?
And - do you have any advice for those few Christians who will be living a couple hundred (a couple thousand) years from now, who will still be waiting for Jesus to return?

Perhaps let's examine this belief a tad more:
"I am coming soon! I am indeed coming soon!"
(Revelation 22:12, 20)


soon:
at once, immediately, without undue time lapse, before long, in a prompt manner.


Think of this - If your significant other called you at home and explained that he or she was broke-down on the side of the road about ten miles from home, and you responded that you would be there "soon", wouldn't it be perfectly reasonable for them to expect to see you pulling up behind them in the next 15-30 minutes. If you didn't show up until the next day they would be perfectly reasonable in thumping you on the forehead and asking you what your definition of "soon" was.

By any human standard, "I am coming soon . . ." does not mean "I'll see you guys in a few thousand years". If "soon" can be taken to mean a few thousand years, then a complete failure of communication has occurred. After all, if the bible was written by humans - to and for humans - then it is reasonable to expect the words in the bible to follow certain rules of definition.  Obviously people in Peters circle believed that "soon" meant at most, in their lifetime.

The author of the 1st and 2nd Epistles of Peter addressed people that he was personally acquainted with at that time. The Epistles were NOT written to you and me, living now. Just look at 2 Peter v. 1 & 2: "Dear friends, this is now my second letter to you. I have written both of them as reminders to stimulate you to wholesome thinking. I want you to recall the words spoken in the past by the holy prophets . . ."
The "friends" in the above verse was not people living today.  It was written to the people of that day, whom Peter (or whom ever) was writing to, then!  
The "you" was not you, dear reader.  It was to those who were reading the letter then, alive when it was written !

I know there has to be a word for this syndrome of taking what someone wrote in the 1st or 2nd century and applying it as if it was meant personally for us today, but I don't know what that word would be. I guess we could just call the syndrome "Christianity". 

Suffice it to say, Peter (or whom ever) was obviously writing to people who were acquainted with some who were skeptical of the claim that Jesus was going to return "soon". Why were they skeptical - because Jesus obviously had not returned "soon". Peter, probably believing he himself was living in the last days, was attempting to discredit anyone who was vocal about their doubt concerning the return of Christ.  He had no idea that his letters would be considered as Holy scripture 2,000 years later. He had no idea that there would be people today reading his letters, let alone people still waiting for Jesus to return . . . 2,000 years later.

It looks like humans have been living in the "last days" for 2,000 years. Kind of like a going-out-of-business sale that never ends. Just go out of business already!

Why did Hippolytus of Rome predict that Jesus would return in the year 500? Because he believed Jesus would return "soon".

Sandro Botticelli believed he was living during the time of the Tribulation, and that the Millennium would begin in three and a half years from 1500. Why - because he believed Jesus would return "soon".

Jerry Falwell predicted in 1999 that the Second Coming would probably be within 10 years - "soon".

Jack Van Impe said 2012 was a possible date for the second coming - "soon".

Isn't it time to just resign yourself to the FACT that, He ain't coming back anytime "soon"?


bob
r.u.reasonable@gmail.com

Comments