Morality - where is it written?

 

Some Christians claim that justification for their morality is based not only on Gods word, the bible, but that God has also written his moral law on their heart - and - on the hearts of all people.

They also make the claim that atheists have no justification for their morality - and - can't or won't admit that they borrow their morality from Gods word (moral law), which is also written on the hearts of atheists as well - and - that is why atheists are just as moral as Christians - because - God has written his moral law on the hearts of all people, including atheists.
Romans 2:14-15: When gentiles, who do not possess the law, by nature do what the law requires, these, though not having the law, are a law to themselves. They show that what the law requires is written on their hearts, as their own conscience also bears witness, and their conflicting thoughts will accuse or perhaps excuse them . . .

The Problem - if Gods moral law is "written" on my "heart", then why do I find so many of the actions, attitudes, and laws of the God of the bible, to be immoral?

For instance - Numbers 15:32-36 - When the Israelite's were in the wilderness, they found a man gathering sticks on the Sabbath day. Those who found him gathering sticks brought him to Moses, Aaron, and the whole congregation. They put him in custody because it was not clear what should be done to him. Then the Lord said to Moses, “The man shall be put to death; all the congregation shall stone him outside the camp.The whole congregation brought him outside the camp and stoned him to death, just as the Lord had commanded Moses.
Why do I find the command to, and act of, stoning a person for working on the Sabbath, to be immoral? I mean, that's Gods law, correct?  If God wrote it on my heart, why do I find that law to be absurd, cruel, immoral, 
and entirely objectionable, and why do I have absolutely no desire to stone someone for working on the Sabbath?  Why have I never felt even a twinge of guilt for working on the Sabbath myself?  I have had feelings of guilt for losing my temper, for telling a lie, for throwing a rock through a window, for pushing my little brother down, and for exceeding the posted speed limit, but I have never felt guilt for NOT "remembering the Sabbath and keeping it Holy" .  Why?  

bob
r.u.reasonable@gmail.com

Comments