An actual conversation with a Christian



I didn't save my initial comment that sparked this very short conversation, but Ian did respond:

Jul 15, 2021 - Ian responded:
Hello Mr. Ingersoll,
It was neat of you to reach out.
I say that because is not often that a person who isn’t convinced of deity makes any comment on these videos.
I saw that you asked the question of how it is just that a non-Christian should be doomed to hell for his/her unbelief, even if they seem to carry out much of what Christians would recommend.
This is a very fair question.
I want to ask, would you entertain a continued correspondence? I would be interested if you told me a little about yourself, such as your education and occupation, etc. and I would do the same.
The reason I suggest that we introduce ourselves to one another that way is that it helps personalize the conversation, so that we think of each other as real and more familiar people rather than anonymous entities in differing “camps.”
Does this sound like something you would be interested in?

-Ian


Jul 16, 2021 - I responded:
Hi Ian, nice to meet you, call me bob.
I would be fine with corresponding with you. That's the main reason that I comment from time to time on videos from Christians - I enjoy the interaction, though I must admit, I am quite surprised that you responded.

bob

Jul 23, 2021 - I never heard back so I tried again:
Well, it's been a week since I responded to your invitation, and not a word from you.  
You are either way too busy with church business - or - have decided that it is best (or have been counseled) not to have a dialogue with non believers such as me...?
Anyway, just wondering :)

bob

Jul 28, 2021 - I never heard back so I tried again:
Just curious Ian, why would a man send a very cordial response inviting someone to dialogue about religious beliefs, and then apparently change their mind, without sending a simple email notifying the other person.  I am just curious as to your motivation?
Could it be that:  
1 - You are just too busy to respond.
2 - You simply changed your mind and common decency is not in your psychological makeup.
3 - You forgot and / or have not checked your email in almost 2 weeks.
4 - You have been counseled by Caleb / Johnny to have no dialogue with the likes of bob and see absolutely no reason to let me know.
5 - You are afraid that my words might cause doubts to grow in your mind, and again, you see absolutely no reason to let me know.
I can't think of any other possibilities, but at any rate, I won't bother you again - I'm just curious.

bob

I never got a response from Ian.


bob
r.u.reasonable@gmail.com

*Jan. 2023 update - I emailed this blog post to Ian almost two months ago - no replay.



Comments