Another actual conversation with a Christian


This "conversation" is from January of 2022. I am not positive how it began - I suspect that I had commented on a YouTube video or perhaps a blog post - at any rate, David sent me an email:

David:
I am not sure if I am correct but are you a former JW [Jehovah's Witness], as I hear that they turn to atheism when they leave the church...Bob, if Christianity is wrong we all have nothing to lose but if we are right you have everything to lose. So, if you want to chat about spiritual things I would be open to that, all the best to you .

bob:
Hi David, and thanks for reaching out to me. I am always open to discussing Christianity and the bible with anyone.

No, I am not a former JW. My interest in Jehovah's Witnesses stems from a year long "bible study" that I had with a wonderful young JW couple. They knocked on my front door in early 2019 and for the next year, once a week, they would show up and we would chat for an hour or two. When covid hit in early 2020, that put an end to our meetings.
I am not sure of the percentage of former JW's that actually become atheists. I think something like 60-70% become kind of "unaffiliated", just don't go to church anymore. They may still believe in God or Jehovah, sort of, just don't remain religious. A much smaller percentage convert to a different form of Christianity (Baptist, non denominational, etc).

I am a former bible believing Christian - spent about 25 years, from age 17 to my early 40's as a Christian, but around 2000 I gave up my Christianity. I am still very much interested in Christianity, and have had many email discussions with Christians, some lasting a year or more.


David:
Bob, I think when we talk about nothing to lose I am not talking about trivial things like tithe and time, I am talking about eternal life.
And my belief is if you were a Christian and born again then you can never deny Christ or Christianity. But if you were converted and walked away then there is nothing anybody can do for you except maybe pray for you. The best way for you to regain your faith is just read the bible through and especially study prophecy as in Daniel and Revelation, check out - amazing facts .org ...or secrets unsealed .org for prophecy studies and sermons. If you are chatting with others for a year then you don't need me, I was just trying to encourage you, but you will lose out on eternal life, So, all the best to you but as I said, if you knew the truth and don't want the truth then no one can help you so all the best to you. Life is to short to try to make a horse drink water when he doesn't want too. Bye

(yawn) David made it clear that this "conversation" was over, but I responded anyway, and he did respond as well, even though he didn't want to take the time - ?  The rest of our short conversation isn't worth the space here.


David is a Seventh Day Adventist, since both of his recommendations (besides reading the bible "through", which I have done) are "ministries" of the Seventh Day Adventist denomination. But why would I waste my time following Davids recommendation if he isn't even willing to take the time to have a conversation?. . . huh?

Note - I just did a blog post on the Seventh Day Adventist denomination.  


bob
r.u.reasonable@gmail.com


Comments

  1. "Bob, if Christianity is wrong we all have nothing to lose but if we are right you have everything to lose."

    Pascal's Wager...about as pathetic as an apologetic can get.

    https://external-preview.redd.it/5tEGRs2LjxINUElvKjmmf0dB2lvd5Vpej86eMEfVTGw.jpg?width=640&crop=smart&auto=webp&s=8b5bd18e0c54a8bdd57b7b83f515bc4332f4d2c9

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment