Out of the mouths of babes . . .

 


In my employment capacity I interact with students in the county school system on a regular basis.

Yesterday morning one of my students (Let's call her Lydia, a kinder-gardener) approached me and initiated this conversation: 

Lydia - "Mr. Bob, do you know Jesus?"

Me - "Well I'm not sure - what's his last name?"

Lydia (slightly confused) - "No - Jesus - from church."

Me - "Oh - well, I don't go to your church.  Does Jesus go to school here?"

Lydia (even more confused) - "No - Jesus, he lives in our hearts."

Me - "Oh, THAT Jesus.  No, I don't know him - I used to though."

This was our exact conversation.  As other students arrived our conversation ended - besides - I wasn't about to get into a heated theological discussion with a 7 year old apologist.


Lydia, as the Apostle Paul would say, has been a "thorn in my flesh" all school year.  When my girlfriend asks how my day went, I have often responded "That Lydia - she is truly the spawn of Satan."
Lydia comes from a broken home (though I am not privy to the details) and lives with her grand parents, who, by all indications are great people.  She has had some rather extreme behavior issues off and on - mostly on - though lately, the past few weeks, she has been fairly compliant and has not displayed any emotional outbursts, though similar reprieves have occurred in the past, so I am usually on guard for the next eruption (fool me once, shame on her . . . )
Hopefully Lydia has now been filled with the Holy Ghost and for the rest of the school year she will behave like a good little Christian girl - time will tell.  



bob
r.u.reasonable@gmail.com

Comments