What would convince you . . .?

 


What would convince you that God is real?

This question (topic) pops up on blogs, podcasts, and YouTube videos from time to time.  Sometimes it is asked as another variation, such as, "What would change your mind?"  I have had Christians ask me this question.  I believe that my usual response has been "I don't know", and I have offered the caveat: "I do know it would have to be evidence, actual convincing evidence, and not mere claims".

I would now like to modify my go-to answer to that question, and this modification is in two steps:

Step 1 - Christian, before I answer, I would like you to tell me exactly what convinced you that God is real.

Step 2 - I do know something that would convince me that God is real, and I have already told God what would convince me and I have requested that he provide the evidence that I seek.  I am now waiting for God to miraculously provide me with this evidence.  
Note - what I am asking of God is not anything that he hasn't already done before (according to the bible), and this event doesn't have to be permanent - I only request that he provide me access to this evidence for one hour, and I don't want or need it to be witnessed or experienced by anyone except me, and the time and location is of God's choosing.
I am keeping the nature of this request strictly between me and God.  I will reveal my request once God miraculously grants my request, but if he never does, I will most likely not reveal it to anyone, except possibly to my closest ally - my lady.

Now, how should I respond after the Christian answers Step-1 and tells me what convinced him/her that God is real?  I am rather confident that I will find their "convincing evidence" to be quite unconvincing.  From my experience, Christians don't become Christians because of "evidence".  They become Christians as a result of the emotional appeals from the people close to them at that time.

Note - If God were to grant my request, this does not mean that I will love, adore, and worship God.  He would first have to convince me that he is worthy of my worship (but even then, I mean, come on - worship?).  He would have to convince me that he is not that despicable character found in my KJV bible.  If it were to turn out that God is indeed the God of the bible, and the bible accurately describes his nature, attitudes, and actions, my response after these facts being revealed to me will be "Thanks but no thanks!" followed by a double . . .




bob
r.u.reasonable@gmail.com


Comments