Give me that Old Time Made-up Religion

 


I have decided that I want to adopt a religion but I'm not at all attracted to any of the current religions that I am familiar with.  From my perspective, religions have some few good aspects, but those good aspects are far outweighed by their bad aspects.  


Based on my experience, below are some religious beliefs and practices that I will not have in the religion that I am making up:

Authority of the Scriptures - This is entirely unnecessary.  History has proven it to be very harmful.  Adherents have killed other people because they believed they were commanded to by their scriptures.  Why should I allow the words in an ancient book to govern my thoughts, words, or deeds?  Why should I allow those ancient prescripts to cloud how I view or interact with my fellow religious believers or non believers?  Is there something inherently good about an ancient scripture?  Why give authority to something that actually has no authority (or power) over me?
I have decided that my religion will have no book.


Leadership - This is at least as unnecessary as giving authority to scriptures.  What could possibly be beneficial to giving some man the authority to instruct me in my religious life, and to point out to me when I am doing it wrong - and - I pay him to do this . . . ?
I have decided that my religion will have no leader(s).


Sacraments - From my experience, religious ceremonies are a waste of time, and some are extremely dangerous and can even cause death.  Why would a religious person not even consider for a moment that a particular religious sacrament that is instructed by their religious leader and commanded in their scriptures, could actually kill them, and has very likely killed tens of thousands, and possibly hundreds of thousands of people over the thousands of years that it has been practiced in their religion?
I have decided that my religion will have no water baptisms, communions, circumcisions, or any other such "Holy" observance or practice.


Proselytizing - Why should I try to convince anyone to join my religion, whether they already have a religious belief or not?  What can possibly be the benefit to them or to me?
I have decided that my religion will not try to recruit new members.


Prescriptions, and Suggestions for adherents:
~ Seek to have as many true beliefs and as few false beliefs as possible.
~ Don't think too highly of yourself.
~ Admit your mistakes.
~ Understand that strongly held beliefs, even if they are held in error, are very tenacious.
~ Spend some time in contemplation every day.
~ Take up at least one form of art and become proficient enough to enjoy it.
~ Be blatantly honest, as gently as you can.
~ It is perfectly OK to despise people who are cruel, dishonest, and arrogant.
~ Be kind to animals.

bob
r.u.reasonable@gmail.com

Comments