Photography is Better than Christianity



I am a Photographian

Pho.to.graph.ian
adjective
relating to the beliefs of photography and it's teachings.
noun
a person who is of the Photographian religion or is a believer in and devote of Photography.

My religion is Photography.  I have been a Photographian for the past 55 years, since I was about 11 years old and was first introduced to the Photographian faith by my grandparents, who gave me my first camera - a Kodak 126 Instamatic.  


Even during my 25 years as a Christian (beginning around age 17), Photography never left my mind - I was still a member of the Photographian religion the entire time that I was a member of the Christian religion.  I found it very easy to be a Photographer, even while I was a Christian.  There were a few times that my dedication to, and my love for Photography conflicted with my love for, and dedication to Christianity.  I even documented one such conflict in my journal - below is the actual entry: 

May 1987
Since my last entry, in my judgment, there has been no spiritual improvement.  
I am obsessed with photography. I spend a lot of time thinking about equipment and techniques. I feel guilty about this, but I’m unsure why . . . it [photography] is my job.

Yes, I was so involved in the Photographian religion that it became my way of life, so much so that I earned my living doing it.  One could even say that it was not a religion, but was a "relationship".  But my involvement in Christianity was also my "way of life", I just didn't earn a living at it like so many ministers do. 
 
One thing that should have been obvious to me (but wasn't) was this: Photography was not jealous of the time that I spent with Christianity - but - Christianity was very jealous of the time that I spent with Photography
 
Photography didn't care one bit that I spent every goddamn Sunday morning and Sunday evening, and most Wednesday evenings, in church (the place where Christians meet).  Photography didn't care that I spent so many evenings reading books about Christianity and studying the bible. Photography just waited for me to come back, when ever - no judgments, no condemnations, no threats.  But if I were to miss a Sunday in church and instead spend the day out in the woods, along a creek, or along a city sidewalk, just taking pictures for the pure enjoyment of it, Christianity got downright pissed and let me know that I had committed the sin of . . . ? . . . well, I don't know what the name of that sin was, but as I was commanded in the bible: "not neglecting to meet together, as is the habit of some" (Apparently I was the "some"), and if I did commit that infraction, I felt guilty - but damn - I sure enjoyed my time taking pictures.

Christianity has its founding members:


Photography didn't start until about the 1830's, and it also has its founding members:

The Holy Trinity

Photography even has its congregations:

Then
and 
Now
And of course
photography has its sinners
and its saints

Is it odd that, after 25 years as a Christian, i finally gave up on Christianity, but after 55 years as a Photographian, there is no indication that I'll ever give it up.  Just ask the people who are close to me.  They'll testify as to the degree of my obsession.  
Do I have any guilt over it - not a bit.


So how is photography "better" than Christianity - simple - I have never encountered a Photographian who accused another Photographian of not being a ®True Photographian, never!  I have never encountered a Photographian who accused another Photographian of not doing photography correctly because they were using a digital camera rather than a film camera, or vise-versa.

Christianity divides - Photography unites


bob
r.u.reasonable@gmail.com

Comments